Sunday, January 15, 2012

Film 2011

I might have seen fewer films in 2011 than in any year in recent memory, and so assembling this list was a little trickier than I'd anticipated. That says more, I suspect, about how I've been spending my time lately than about the quality of this year's releases. There's always no shortage of films I regret having missed by the end of December, but it's a particularly long list this time around: Margin Call, A Separation, Meek's Cutoff, Super, The Tree of Life, Certified Copy, Melancholia, The Skin I Live In, and The Future, with many others no doubt having slipped my mind.

Before I start, the rule I set for myself was this: the films below had to be released straight to video, video on demand, or theatrically in Portland in 2011, which is why a couple of 2010 films with delayed releases ended up making the list. Anyway, here it is:

10. Mission: Impossible - Ghost Protocol

09. Source Code

08. Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy

07. Somewhere

06. Win Win

05. Martha Marcy May Marlene

04. Bridesmaids

03. Blue Valentine

02. Drive

01. Hanna

No comments: